Undoubtedly, Australia is a popular study destination for international students. At the same time, Australia is never a cheap country to live in. the average tuition fees can come from AUD 30,000 to AUD 40,000 per year. Likewise, your monthly expenses can range from AUD 1400 to AUD 2500. You will come across several costs, and looking for part-time work opportunities to cover your expenses is best. There are several jobs available, and you can earn from them hourly. You have permission to work up to 20 hours per week during your semester and unlimited hours during your semester breaks. It is quintessential to know about the part-time opportunities, their average salaries etc. You can read the blog further and learn more about them in detail.
Types of Part Time Jobs in Australia
All international students have the opportunity to work part-time in Australia. This will help you cover your expenses and earn money for your personal needs. Though you may find scholarships and other financial aid, they may not necessarily cover all your costs. As such, it is better to work part-time. Not only does it help you earn money, but you will also gain some experience. The types of part-time jobs are listed below.
On-Campus Jobs: On-campus jobs are easier to get, and the work location will be limited to the university. A few such jobs include tutoring, library monitoring etc.
Off-Campus Jobs: There are innumerable off-campus jobs available, and some are highly paid. A few off-campus jobs include sales, telemarketing, clerical jobs in offices, bartending etc.
Part Time Job Rules In Australia
You have the option to work up to 20 hours per week during your semester. However, you have to abide by the rules and regulations set by the Australian government.
These rules are given below:
- You can work up to 20 hours per week during your semester
- You can work up to 40 hours per week during vacations and semester breaks
- If your family or spouse is accompanying you, they can work up to 20 hours per week after the commencement of your course and not more than 20 hours at any point of time
- You can start working only after your course commences
- You should have an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- You should maintain the attendance level required by the program
- You should have a valid Australian student visa
- You must be enrolled in a full-time course approved by the Australian government
Available Student Part Time Jobs in Australia
As described previously, international students have countless opportunities for part-time jobs. You can select the ones that best suit you according to your skills and interests.
A few popular jobs chosen by students are given below:
- Admin Executive: If you have good management and communication skills, you can opt for this position that involves you working in executive or front offices. The average hourly salary can be between AUD 25 to AUD 30.
- Private Tutor: If you are skilled in tutoring students and have in-depth knowledge of any subject, you can choose this job. The hourly wage will be from AUD 20 to AUD 40.
- Bartender: This is an easily-available position, and you can choose to work day or night shifts. You can earn around AUD 22 to AUD 25 per hour.
- Babysitter: If you love spending time with babies and can feed and bathe them, you can choose this job. You may earn between AUD 15 to AUD 20 per hour.
- Driver: If you have a valid Australian driving licence, you can be a driver. Even if you don't own a vehicle, you can choose to be an Uber driver. You can earn between AUD 20 to AUD 25 per hour. You must ensure you know the road signs thoroughly before taking the job.
- Travel Agent: If you know the places in Australia, you can choose this highly paid job.
- Cleaner: This is another well-paid job in Australia. Even if you are not too proficient in English, you can choose this job. The payment will be between AUD 20 and AUD 30.
- Mail Deliverer: This is another popular job because of its flexibility. This quick and simple job gives you around AUD 20 to AUD 25 per hour.
- Customer Care Jobs: You can take this job if you have good communication skills and can use English efficiently. You can work in shifts and earn from AUD 25 to AUD 30 per hour.
- Library Assistant: You can work as a library assistant and earn good money from this in-campus job. It gives you the option to sit in one place and also gives you access to study materials and time to do your work.
Highest Paying Part Time Jobs for Students In Australia
You will find several jobs and can choose the ones that best interest you. However, getting a list of highly-paid jobs will be easier for you. As such, the table below shows ten jobs that pay you well.
Average Hourly Salary (in AUD)
AUD 20 - AUD 25
AUD 22 - AUD 25
AUD 20 - AUD 25
AUD 20 - AUD 30
AUD 15 - AUD 20
Customer Care Executive
AUD 25 - AUD 30
AUD 20 - AUD 25
AUD 18 - AUD 25
How To Find Part Time Jobs In Australia?
It is not very difficult to hunt for a part-time job, provided you use the proper channels. There are several ways available, but the first you may need would be a good resume.
You can search for part-time jobs in the following ways:
- Newspaper: You will find several job openings in the local newspaper, and it will be helpful for you.
- References: You can maintain a good network of people who will help you get a good job.
- Online Portals: Online job portals like LinkedIn and Indeed can help you find almost all the job openings. You can easily apply for them.
- Websites: The Australian job search websites like MyCareer, CareerOne, Seek etc., can help you find jobs.
- Universities: Some universities will have a career section to make things easier for you.