Canada Student Visa
Canada Student Visa Types
Canada Student Visa is classified into two types depending on the duration of the course.
Technically, the Canada Student Visa is for students whose course duration is more than six months.
Students whose course duration is less than six months can get a Valid Visitor Visa or otherwise called a Temporary Resident Visa.
Canada Student Visa Fees
There is a separate cost for students who will stay for less than six months and a different cost for students who will stay for more than six months.
The Canada Student Visa Processing fees for students whose course duration is less than six months is $ 85 (CAD).
While the Canada Student Visa Processing fees for students whose course duration is more than six months is $150 (CAD), the biometrics fee is $85 (CAD) and a service fee of $45 (CAD).
Canada Student Visa Requirements
Documents Required for Canada Student Visa
A Valid Passport.
The letter of introduction the visa office sent you.
A valid letter of acceptance from your University or College.
A Letter of Reference.
A Statement of Purpose.
Passport size photographs.
Valid Immigration Medical Exam results (IME).
Score certificate of English proficiency exam.
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Visa
To be eligible for the Canada Student Visa, there are certain conditions students have to meet.
Have a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
Proof of funds to pay your full tuition fee and living costs.
No indulgence in criminal related or immigration-related convictions.
Certificate of a health checkup that proves you are in good health.
Proof that you will leave Canada after the completion of your study.
Canada Student Visa Process
Students to get their Canada Student Visas has to get certain things done.
- First, receive the letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Apply for the Study Permit Online.
- Receive the letter of introduction which has your Study Permit reference number.
- Pay your Visa application fee and document the receipt.
- Do the medical check-up from your panel physician registered in your country.
- Get your Immigration Medical Exam (IME) results.
Canada Student Visa Processing Time
The Canada Student Visa Processing time usually takes around 90 days, but that is not the fixed time. The processing time may also end faster within 20 days. So it all depends on the circumstance of your home country.
How to Apply for the Canada Student Visa?
The process to get the Canada Student Visa, starts from
- Applying to a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Receive your acceptance letter from the university.
- Apply for your study permit to study in Canada.
- Get your letter of introduction from the visa office.
- The letter of introduction has your Study Permit reference number.
- Apply for the Canada Student Visa on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.
- Prepare the documents - Letter of reference and Statement of Purpose.
- Show proof of funds covering your tuition fees and living costs, etc.
- Proof of no criminal record.
- Immigration Medical Exam (IME) results.
- Two passport size photographs.
- Proof of paying the Study Permit fee.
- Score certificate of English Language proficiency exam.
- Biometrics appointment and Visa interview.
The minimum bank balance students should have in their account is CAD 10,000 to CAD 11,000 to spend per year for living in the country, additionally with tuition fees.
The proof of funds should be in the format of bank statements, education loans, scholarships and bursaries.
A SOP is a Statement of Purpose that has to be written by applicants stating their academic and professional excellence. Additionally, they need to mention their reasons for doing their chosen education course in Canada at a specific university. Also, they need to disclose the scholarships if they are awarded any and have to mention their IELTS or TOEFL scores in the SOP.
To study in Canada, the minimum age limit is 18 and there is no upper age limit.